AVM CS8.3 Black Edition
The OVATION CS 8.3 Black Edition
Featuring a special tube quality reserved for this model, the OVATION CS 8.3 Black Edition takes the Ovation tube stage to the next level in the flagship All-In-One CS. Using carefully selected components, a special edition of the OVATION CS 8.3 all-in-one player has been created that exceeds the highest tonal demands. The high-performance version of the CS 8.3 also stands out visually from the normal version. All cabinet parts and controls are completely painted in midnight black. The Black Edition lettering on the top cover proudly identifies this very special version of the CS 8.3.
Absolutely authentic conversion of digital signals
The powerful X-STREAM Engine® is designed to process virtually all received digital signals. The hand-picked D/A converters selected for this edition are perfectly prepared for absolutely authentic conversion of digital signals, regardless of the digital source or the built-in Pure CD drive. A true all-in-one player compactly housed in a single, solid aluminum Ovation Line cabinet. That is why this creation is called, in short, CS (Compact with Streaming).
After digital-to-analog (DA) conversion, all digital music signals are transferred to AVM’s proprietary tube line stage. In the Black Edition, this tube stage is equipped with a tube modified for this edition and marks these precisely selected tubes with a Black Edition label. The special amplifier circuit is based on decades of experience. Designed and refined over several product generations, this circuitry is extremely faithful to the sound and allows for unadulterated musical enjoyment, as the custom tubes made for AVM are operated gently, allowing for decades of undisturbed operation. The life of the tubes is estimated at over 20,000 hours.
Fully balanced dual quad DA converter
Sonically, the CS 8.3 impresses with the musical charm of the fully balanced double quad DA converters. For this ESS 9038 PRO only the best 2% of the D/A converters already delivered to us are pre-selected. To be able to drive these D/A converters to peak performance, the Black Edition additionally uses temperature-stabilized high-precision clocks. The DACs are powered by a double-regulated separate power supply, also highly refined in the Black Edition. These circuits are also channel-separated on their own circuit boards for absolutely perfect channel separation.
Optimized signal-to-noise ratio
This additional effort significantly improves the signal-to-noise ratio compared to the already outstanding standard version CS 8.3. In addition, these converters can also process DSD128 (5.6MHz) signals. The upsampling electronics allow adjustable sampling rates at the SPDIF inputs (44.1-192kHz) and enable the selection between two filter characteristics (soft / steep). In this process, the clock of the digital signals is completely regenerated, and this effort effectively and practically eliminates jitter. In addition, the CS 8.3 can also downsample; this feature is important for playlists with different sample rates and formats from different sources. The signal routing of the digital signals is consistently impedance controlled.
The USB input is XMOS-based, galvanically isolated and always works asynchronously. Without driver up to 96kHz, with suitable driver up to 384kHz and with DSD 128. Basically, only 4-layer PCBs with black coating are used in the OVATION CS 8.3, the inner layers of which serve the power supply and house the ground lines. The entire signal path is fully DC-coupled. Three low-noise switching power supplies provide analog + and – separately (including so-called low drop-out controls), one power supply powers all digital circuits, with the digital audio section being controlled separately.
Spatial separation of the circuit parts
Not only are the individual parts of the CS 8.3 electrically separated, but on the circuit boards the circuit parts are also spatially separated, keeping a proper distance between the digital and analog circuit parts so that they cannot influence each other. This separation is also reflected in a solid wall that extends across the entire unit. This mechanical partition effectively prevents electrical and mechanical interference, this “Chinese wall” effectively shields the power supplies from the rest of the device. Also the ground is separated for analog and digital circuit parts. The solid & perfectly processed midnight black aluminum cabinet is completely manufactured in Baden-Baden and assembled without visible screw connections.
Pure CD drive
The Pure CD drive is supplied by the renowned manufacturer TEAC exclusively for AVM. Only AVM worldwide is supplied with these unique drives. The special feature of this drive based on a monofocal laser is the pure CD playback according to the so-called Red Book standard with the signal output as SPDIF signal to the subsequent D/A converter stages. The sound advantage of this drive is thus exclusive to AVM. The drive in the CS 8.3 is also heavily soundproofed with thick acoustic felt mats. The CS 8.3 is fully software-updateable. In addition, important parts of the digital circuits can be easily replaced, the complete D/A converter board and the XMOS input board are replaceable and the CS 8.3 is thus also hardware upgradeable.
- Bluetooth 4.2
- 1 XLR line input, switchable as home cinema
- 6.3 mm headphone output on front panel with dedicated Class A headphone amplifier
- Trigger in, ext. IR sensor, 2 x trigger output
- 2 variable outputs (balanced and unbalanced)
- Digital inputs: 1 x USB (asynchronously galvanically isolated, DSD128/384 kHz), 1 x S/PDIF coaxial, 2 x S/PDIF optical, 1 x AES/EBU)
- 2 digital outputs (S/PDIF coaxial & S/PDIF optical)
- Compact size: 43 cm x 13 cm x 38 cm (WHT)
- Black Edition cabinet: Hand-brushed aluminum black panel with Black Edition logo on the top cover and all controls in black
- WiFi & LAN
- Low diffusion power supplies, separate for CD drive and audio electronics
- Large, blue illuminated graphic display, dimmable
- Delivery in AVM OVATION flight case
- Multiroom function: AVM RoomConneXion®
- Pure CD drive with slot-in (Red Book standard)
- Digital signal conversion with optional double-quad DAC for max. 384/32 PCM (ESS 9028PRO) and/or DSD 128
- Tone control and parametric loudness with bypass function (controllable also via RC X APP)
- Numerous menu functions (adjustable input sensitivity, individual naming of inputs and more)
- Minimal standby power consumption and automatic power down (APD)
- Pure CD drive with slot-in z for exclusive AVM delivery
- Streaming services: Spotify Connect, AirPlay, Qobuz, Tidal, HighResAudio, ROON ready, web radio
- Streaming formats: MP3, WMA, AAC, OGG Vorbis, FLAC (192/24 over LAN), WAV (192/24 over LAN), AIFF (192/24 over LAN), ALAC (96/24 over LAN)
- UPnP 1.1, UPnP-AV and DLNA compatible server, Microsoft Windows Media Connect Server (WMDRM 10), DLNA compatible server: NAS
- Airable Internet Radio Service, Internet Radio Station Database (automatic updates)