The T+A DAC 200
The DAC 200 is the latest member of a large family of high-end converters and preamplifiers. Its complete construction is a sign of uncompromising devotion to science and music. The ability to play back DSD 1024 files and the complete galvanic isolation are just two highlights that impressively underline the performance of the DAC 200. The DAC 200 is designed to convert a wide range of digital formats into faithful analog signals and output them via the built-in headphone or analog outputs.
Path Separation Technology
T+A believes in reproducing music unadulterated. That’s why they eliminate even the smallest disruptive factors during development, no matter how minimal they may be. The joint processing of PCM and DSD files in one converter is exactly such a disturbance: Supposedly insignificant and with a nevertheless decisive influence on the sound. The unique T+A Path Separation technology was developed to eliminate precisely this influence: separate converters, specially tailored to their requirements, are used for PCM and DSD, which not only exclude negative sound influences, but also make optimum use of the potential of each format.
T+A’s quadruple converter is used for PCM signals, while DSD files are processed by T+A’s globally unique True 1-bit converter.
De-jitter master clock
The belief in unadulterated music means an enormous effort in the elimination of the smallest disturbing influences. The T+A De-Jitter Master Clock was developed to free all T+A DACs from such interference signals, especially those arising from computer use. These disturbances, called jitter, are minimal time offsets in the clock, which nevertheless negatively affect the sound experience unless they are removed before conversion to analog signals.
The De-Jitter Masterclock developed in Herford is the consistent audiophile answer to jitter: In a multi-stage process, the incoming signals are examined and cleaned of even the strongest jitter artifacts. In the first step, a raw clock is obtained from the incoming signal, which is closely examined by microprocessors: Only if the frequency position and stability meet strict minimum criteria is the signal switched to the master clock.
If the criteria are not met, the signals are cleaned again by a 2nd PLL stage in a specially constructed second jitterbug until the residual jitter is reduced by a factor of 4. Signals that meet the purity requirements are completely decoupled from the input jitter by switching to the master clock and are further processed by two precisely adjusted crystal oscillators. Each oscillator is reserved for a single clock family, so both the odd 44.1 kHz clock up to 354.8 kHz and the even 48 kHz clock up to 762 kHz are covered by the master clock.
Transducer & Filter
The T+A True 1-bit converter is also absolutely unique because it broke with a paradigm: ordinary converters process DSD signals by converting them to PCM and playing them back via PCM mode. It is precisely this conversion that contradicts T+A’s conviction and laid the foundation for the development of the True 1-bit converter. It processes DSD files natively without any harmful conversions and plays them back absolutely pristine in the true 1-bit stream.
PCM conversion is handled by the T+A quadruple converter. Its double-balanced circuitry with eight 32-bit BurrBrown converters compensates for tonal non-linearities to an above-average degree and drops the barely present noise rustling by another 6 dB. This effort results in amazing dynamics and linearity with equally amazing freedom from distortion.
Although T+A believes in unadulterated music reproduction, the in-house Bezier filters in the quadruple converter allow the sound characteristics to be adjusted to individual taste. Using these polynomials creates a perfect time domain response for each of the 6 available filters, two of which are NOS stages.
- Its complete construction is a sign of T+A’s uncompromising dedication to science and music.
- The ability to play back DSD 1024 files and the complete galvanic isolation are just two highlights that impressively underline the performance of the DAC 200.
- The DAC 200 is designed to convert a wide range of digital formats into faithful analog signals and output them via the built-in headphone or analog outputs.
- Frequency response + 0 / – 3 dB: 0.1 Hz – 200 kHz
- Extraneous/noise voltage clearances: 110/114 dB
- Distortion factor / intermodulation: <0.001 % /<0.001 %
- Channel separation: >108 dB
- Preamplifier outputs: variable: high level (RCA) 0…2.5 Vrms / 22 ohms, balanced (XLR) 0…5.0 Vrms / 22 ohms, fixed: high level (RCA) 2.5 Vrms / 22 ohms, balanced (XLR) 5.0 Vrms / 22 ohms, discrete Class A HV output stage in dual mono circuitry
- Volume control: gold contact relay, in 1 dB steps, – 90 dB to 0 dB, completely bypassable
- Headphone output: 4.4 mm Pentaconn, discretely built
- High power output stage, Class A operation with up to 200 mA, output impedance 6 Ohm
- High level (RCA): 250 mVrms … 4.5 Vrms / 10 kOhm
- 1 x AES-EBU 32…192 kHz / 16-24 bit
- S/P-DIF: 2 x standard coax, 2 x optical TOS link 32…192 kHz / 16-24 bit
and DoP to DSD64 (0x05/0xFA marker)
- 1 x BNC 32…192 kHz / 16-24 bit
- 2 x USB DAC: Device mode 44.1 … 768 kSps (PCM) and up to DSD1024*.
- Asynchronous data transmission. *DSD 512 and DSD 1024 only from a Windows PC with driver installed or Linux PC with kernel 4.4 or higher.
- Supports DoP up to DSD256 (0x05/0xFA marker)
- 2 x HDMI IN, 1 x HDMI OUT with ARC (optional equipment)
- PCM: Double differential quadruple converter with four 32-bit sigma-delta
D/A converters per channel, 705.6 / 768 kSps conversion rate
- DSD: T+A True 1-bit DSD D/A converter, up to DSD 1024 (49.2 MHz), native bitstream
- Upsampling: T+A signal processor – synchronous upsampling with 4 selectable oversampling algorithms. FIR short, FIR long, Bezier/IIR, Bezier, NOS (non-oversampling)
- Analog filter: Phase linear Bessel filter 3rd order, switchable with 60 or
120 kHz cutoff frequency
- Mains connection: 200 – 240 V, 50 – 60 Hz, 30 Watt
- Standby: <0.5 W
- Dimensions (H × W × D): 10 × 32 × 34 cm
- Accessories: FM 200 remote control, power cord, USB cable
- Weight: 6.2 kg